More than a headache
3.2 million Americans* live with Chronic Migraine—a neurological condition that
amounts to much more than just frequent headaches and migraines.
People with Chronic Migraine have:
- 15 or more headache days a month
- At least 8 headache days a month associated with migraine
- Each headache lasts 4 hours or more per day
BOTOX® is the first and only FDA-approved preventive treatment for Chronic Migraine. Unlike acute treatments, which are taken to treat a headache or migraine once it's already begun, BOTOX® prevents headaches and migraines before they even start. BOTOX®prevents on average 8 to 9 headache days and migraine/probable migraine days a month (vs 6 to 7 for placebo).
BOTOX® is a prescription medicine that is injected to prevent headaches in adults with chronic migraine who have 15 or more days each month with headache lasting 4 or more hours each day in people 18 years or older.
It is not known whether BOTOX® is safe or effective to prevent headaches in patients with migraine who have 14 or fewer headache days each month (episodic migraine).
5 quick things you should know about BOTOX® treatment
- It prevents headaches and migraines before they even start. BOTOX®prevents on average 8 or 9 headache days and migraine/probable
migraine days a month (vs 6 to 7 for placebo) at 24 weeks.
- It's given every 12 weeks. It will take 2 treatments, 12 weeks apart to determine how well BOTOX® is working for you. If you don’t get treated
every 12 weeks, you may not get the full benefit of BOTOX®.
- It's a small needle. People say that the injections feel like tiny pinpricks.
- It's injected by a BOTOX® specialist.This is a doctor who's experienced in treating with BOTOX®.
- It takes about 15 minutes. The injections take about 15 minutes, and are done right in your doctor's office.