Gynecomastia is a state where young boys and men suffer from swollen breast tissue. In extreme cases of gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause the breasts to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). In these cases, the position and size of the areola can be surgically improved and excess skin may be reduced using gynecomastia treatment in Dubai. This particular condition can occur at any age in men, thus resulting in hormonal changes, obesity, heredity or usage of certain drugs. Moreover, this condition can also affect men emotionally and result in lack of self-confidence.
Gynecomastia is characterized by excess localized fat, excess glandular tissue development, excess breast skin at times, presence unilaterally (one breast) or bilaterally (both breasts). At Junqueira Medical Clinic, we are backed by a specialized surgeon who holds extensive years of experience in gynecomastia surgery. With us you are guaranteed of exceptional results and excellent service. Book an appointment today for a consultation.
Gynecomastia Consultation Process
During your consultation on gynecomastia in Dubai, be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and recreational drug use (including steroids)
- Previous surgeries
Your gynecomastia surgeon may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Perform diagnostic testing to determine the underlying cause of gynecomastia; this may include testing of your endocrine function
- Examine your breasts and may take detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and placement of your nipples and areolas
- Take photographs for your medical records
- Discuss your options
- Recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of gynecomastia correction and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the use of anesthesia during your procedure
The consultation is the time to ask your plastic surgeon questions.
It is essential to understand all aspects of your surgical procedure. It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.
Our Gynecomastia Surgery Procedure
A gynecomastia procedure includes the following steps:
Medications are administered for your comfort during the gynecomastia treatment in Dubai. The options include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best option for you.
In cases where gynecomastia is primarily the result of excess fatty tissue, liposuction techniques alone may be used. This requires insertion of a cannula, a thin hollow tube, through several small incisions.
The cannula is moved back and forth in a controlled motion to loosen the excess fat, which is then removed from the body by vacuum suction.
There are various liposuction techniques that may be used; the technique most appropriate in your case will be defined prior to your procedure.
Excision techniques are recommended where glandular breast tissue or excess skin must be removed to correct gynecomastia. Excision also is necessary if the areola will be reduced or the nipple will be repositioned to a more natural male contour. Incision patterns vary depending on the specific conditions and surgical preference.
Combination of liposuction & excision techniques
Sometimes gynecomastia is treated with both liposuction and excision.
While preparing for gynecomastia treatment in Dubai, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
The success and safety of your gynecomastia procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
Male breast reduction surgery may be performed in an accredited, office-based surgical facility, licensed ambulatory surgical center or a hospital. Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery and to stay with you for at least the first night following surgery.
What Should You Ask Your Surgeon?
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period.
- Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
- What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
- Are stitches removed? When?
- When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
It's very important to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions and attend follow-up visits as scheduled.
Ideal Candidate for the Gynecomastia Surgery
Candidates applicable for Gynecomastia treatment in Dubai are:
- Men whose condition cannot be corrected through alternative medical treatments
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Nonsmokers and non-drug users
- Men with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improving the physical symptoms of gynecomastia
- Men who are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
- Men who have realistic expectations
- Men whose breast development has stabilized
- Men who are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large
Adolescents may benefit from surgery, although secondary procedures may be needed in the future should breast development continue.
What Are the Benefits of Gynecomastia Treatment?
Male breast reduction surgery in Dubai is an important treatment for gynecomastia and has been remarkably successful. Choosing to do this procedure provides a wider range of benefits for a man than any other aesthetic surgical procedure would. The top 5 benefits of choosing male breast reduction surgery are as follows:
Increases Confidence & Self-Esteem
Creating a firmer, flatter chest provides an instant improvement in self-esteem for men who suffer from gynecomastia.
Enjoy a More Masculine Figure
Men who have gynecomastia often feel their body shape is not well-matched with their gender. Male breast reduction eliminates the extra fatty tissue from the chest, giving men the choice of showing off a flatter chest and a more shaped physique.
Eases Physical Activity
Exercises, such as running and jumping, become more of a challenge and embarrassing if you are aware of the movements of your chest. Reducing the size of the chest allows male patients to feel at ease engaging in physical activity again, thus motivating them to stay fit and continue to maintain their stronger, firmer figure.
Having a large chest can have a dramatic effect on one’s posture, causing the upper spine to become curvier and disfigured. With time, it can lead to a permanent hump and chronic spinal pain. With a smaller chest, patients can stand straighter and taller, exuding self-confidence and approachability.
Remove Negative Thoughts
The mind can flood itself with negative thoughts, especially when someone is self-conscious about their body. Most male breast reduction patients report feeling a heightened quality of life and emotional relief after their treatment.
If you experience shortness of breath, chest pains or an unusual heartbeat, seek medical attention immediately. Should any of these complications occur, you may require hospitalization and additional gynecomastia treatment in Dubai.
Following your physician's instructions is essential to the success of your surgery.
It's important that the surgical incisions are not subjected to excessive force, swelling, abrasion or motion during the time of healing. Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to care for yourself.
Any surgical treatment to correct gynecomastia will require incisions. While most incision lines are concealed within natural contours, some may be visible and are a necessary result of male breast reduction surgery
All gynecomastia surgery scars are permanent, even though some scars may be concealed in the natural contours of the breast. Your improved upper body will likely enhance your self-image and confidence, whether in a shirt and tie, a t-shirt or baring your chest at the beach.
The practices of surgery are not an exact science. Although good results are expected from your gynecomastia treatment in Dubai, there is no guarantee. In some situations, it may not be possible to achieve optimal results with a single surgical procedure to treat gynecomastia. Another surgery may be necessary:
- To perform additional tightening or repositioning of the breasts
- To treat any complications that may occur
Gynecomastia Surgery Results
The final results of gynecomastia surgery are permanent in many cases. However, if gynecomastia resulted from the use of certain prescription medications, drugs (including steroids) or weight gain you must be fully free from these substances and remain at a stable weight in order to maintain your results. Please discuss this with your physician before making changes to your prescription medications.
Gynecomastia surgery in Dubai results are immediately visible. Over time, post-surgical swelling will resolve, and incision lines will fade. Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you recover from surgery.
The final results of your gynecomastia surgery may take 3-6 months to achieve. Incision lines are permanent but will continue to fade over time.
The decision to have plastic surgery is extremely personal, and you will have to decide if the benefits will achieve your goals and if the risks and potential complications of gynecomastia surgery in Dubai are acceptable.
You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure and any risks and potential complications.
Gynecomastia surgery risks include:
- Reactions to tape, suture materials, glues, topical preparations or injected agents
- Anesthesia risks
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Blood clots
- Breast asymmetry
- Breast contour and shape irregularities
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation may be temporary or permanent
- Damage to deeper structures—such as nerves, blood vessels, muscles and lungs—can occur and may be temporary or permanent
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Fatty tissue found in the breast might die (fat necrosis)
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Persistent pain
- Poor wound healing
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Unfavorable scarring
These risks and others will be fully discussed prior to your consent. It's important that you address all your questions directly with your plastic surgeon.
© 2017 American Society of Plastic Surgeons