Protruding ears is a common issue that many men & women face. Ears that noticeably protrude from the sides of the head, are bigger than usual, uneven or have an unusual form can cause great distress.
Thanks to ear surgery, also known as otoplasty, one can improve the shape, position or proportion of the ear and get amazing results.
Otoplasty in Dubai is usually carried out for youngsters between the ages of 5 – 14, as the earlier the surgery is carried out, the better it will be for them. Often, it is carried out done on adults as well. Ear surgery creates a more natural shape, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem.
Ear surgery is generally carried out under general anesthesia. The operation takes about two hours. It comprises of making a small incision on the back of the ear, after which the doctor bends the ear cartilage back towards the head
Ear Reshaping Consultation Process
The success and safety of your procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
During your consultation of ear reshaping in Dubai, be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the procedure, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of ear surgery and any risks or potential complications
The consultation is the time to ask your plastic surgeon questions. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your plastic surgeon that you can take with you to your ear surgery consultation.
It's important to understand all aspects of your ear surgery. It's natural to be nervous about it, whether it's excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.
Ear Otoplasty Procedure
Step 1 – Anesthesia
Medications are administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include local, intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 – The Incision
Correction of protruding ears uses surgical techniques to create or increase the antithetical fold (just inside the rim of the ear) and to reduce enlarged conchal cartilage (the largest and deepest concavity of the external ear). Incisions for otoplasty are generally made on the back surface of the ear. When incisions are necessary on the front of the ear, they are made within its folds to hide them. Internal, nonremovable sutures are used to create and secure the newly shaped cartilage in place.
Step 3 – Closing the Incisions
External stitches close the incision. Techniques are individualized, taking care not to distort other structures and to avoid an unnatural "pinned back" appearance.
Step 4 – See the Results
Ear surgery in Dubai offers near immediate results in cases of protruding ears, visible once the dressings that support the new shape of the ear during initial phases of healing are removed. With the ear permanently positioned closer to the head, surgical scars are either hidden behind the ear or well-hidden in the natural creases of the ear.
While preparing for otoplasty in Dubai, you may be asked to:
- Obtain lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking well in advance of surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Special instructions you receive will cover:
- What to do on the day of surgery
- The use of anesthesia during your procedure
- Post-operative care and follow-up
Your plastic surgeon will also discuss where your procedure will be performed. Depending on the type of surgery you will undergo, your procedure may be performed in your plastic surgeon's accredited ofﬁce-based surgical facility, an ambulatory surgical facility or a hospital.
If your ear surgery in Dubai is performed on an outpatient basis, be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and to stay with you for at least the ﬁrst night following surgery.
What Should You Ask Your Surgeon?
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon speciﬁc questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period of your ear reshaping surgery in Dubai:
- Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
- What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
- Are stitches removed? When?
- When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
Ideal Candidate for the Ear Reshaping
Children who are suitable candidates for ear reshaping in Dubai are:
- Healthy, without a life-threatening illness or untreated chronic ear infections
- Generally, 5 years old, or when a child's ear cartilage is stable enough for correction
- Cooperative and follow instructions well
- Able to communicate their feelings and do not voice objections when surgery is discussed
Teenagers and adults who are good candidates for ear surgery in Dubai are:
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for ear surgery
Ear surgery is a highly individualized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else's desires or to try to ﬁt any sort of ideal image.
What Are the Benefits of Otoplasty?
Ear reshaping in Dubai can treat:
- Overly large ears — a condition called macrotia
- Protruding ears occurring on one or both sides in varying degrees — not associated with hearing loss
- Adult dissatisfaction with previous ear surgery
People who opt for otoplasty in Dubai, not only experience the change in the physical aspect of the ears but also enjoy various aesthetic and emotional benefits, which include:
- Our ears’ whole appearance is improved, and their shape, size, and position get better.
- Several small imperfections can be corrected with this process.
- It is preferably suited for children.
- It is a safe surgery and has very less side effects associated with it.
- It causes minimum scarring.
- It lifts up your confidence and also develops your self-image.
- It offers natural-looking results.
Discomfort immediately following ear surgery in Dubai is normal and can be controlled with pain medication. There may be an itchy feeling under bandages. It is essential that bandages remain intact and are not removed, for any reason. Failure to do so may result in loss of some of the correction and may require a secondary surgery.
After surgery, bandages or dressings will be applied to keep your surgical site clean, protect it from trauma and to support the new position of the ear during initial healing.
You will be given speciﬁc instructions that may include: How to take care of your ears following surgery, medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the risk of infection and when to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.
When you go home should any complications occur, notify your plastic surgeon who will determine if any additional treatment is needed.
Ear Reshaping Surgery Results
Otoplasty in Dubai offers almost immediate results in cases of protruding ears, visible when the dressings that support the new shape of the ear during initial phases of healing are removed. With the ear permanently positioned closer to the head, surgical scars are either hidden behind the ear or well hidden within the natural creases of the ear.
The results of more extensive ear surgery and reconstruction may appear in stages over time.
The decision to go for ear reshaping in Dubai is extremely personal and you will have to weigh the potential benefits in achieving your goals with the risks and potential complications of ear surgery. Only you can make that decision for yourself.
You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure you will undergo, the alternatives and the most likely risks and potential complications.
© 2017 American Society of Plastic Surgeons